Sunday, May 6, 2012

Updated Fibro Doctor appt... at Pain Management.. long version

by Milissa Stormer on Friday, November 18, 2011 at 3:31pm ·

Well, the visit this morning was more promising than I had hoped. The doctor actually seems to care, is quite knowledgeable about Fibromyalgia and spent like almost an hour talking with me, going over things, explaining things.. planning a course of treatment and so forth. I have an appointment on the 30th for an intravenous infusion of lidocaine to try and decrease the pain--we'll try that for 2 months and then I go back and see him again. I am more encouraged than I have been in a long time just because I didn't feel like the doctor thought I was crazy or something!! That right there is a plus!
And I know that there are things that I can do that would help me that I am not currently doing---eating better for one. I've had a lot of people give me information on the ways that eating 'right' will help heal you--which ok, I get that,... and I'm sure that is true--unfortunately though it's like a circle--I hurt a lot, so I don't necessarily want to cook--by the time I do I'm paying for it in more ways than one--Scott cooks when he is here but thanks to the Army that isn't too often for any meal when you work 5:30am-7pm. The cost of food is twisted in that it is more expensive to eat healthy (not that we buy all garbage but some of the prices are insane!). I also know that exercise helps, but again, I need something to get me over that point of hurting so much all I want to do is crawl in bed (oh, but then I can't sleep anyway!) So I'm trying this--and we'll see what happens from here--hopefully it will get me to a point where I can have decreased pain enough to be able to increase activity which will help decrease pain---got that?? ;)  Oh--and I like how he put it when we were discussing about depression/anxiety and chronic pain---would someone walk up to a person with diabetes or high blood pressure and say just will it to go away, suck it up, it will go away all on it's... own....there are some things you can do to help, but it's a neurochemical imbalance somewhere a long the way that messes up the pain receptors... making you think there is a reason for pain when there is no evidence of such cause to be found. (For example--my lower back hurts, all the time--worse when I Stand for a long time or sit for a long time--it was horrible by the time I finished writing two verses on a cake last night--but there is absolutely no reason for it to hurt--I've had MRI's and x-rays and everything is normal---almost wish it wasn't so they could say--hey, this is wrong and we can fix it!)

No comments:

Post a Comment